Mississippi To Host IAGTO North America Golf Tourism Convention, June 6-9
(JACKSON, Mississippi) - The Mississippi Development Authority (MDA) Division of Tourism will welcome more than 200 golf suppliers and tour operators to the state when it hosts the Fourth International Association of Golf Tour Operators (IAGTO) North America Golf Tourism Convention at the IP Casino Resort & Spa in Biloxi, June 6-9.
The convention - which will attract attendees from 24 different countries and 11 states - is open to golf resorts, golf clubs, hotels, ground handlers and other golf tourism suppliers in the U.S., Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean.
"We are extremely excited to showcase the state of Mississippi to the IAGTO and its members," said Mississippi Development Authority Director of Tourism Mary Beth Wilkerson. "Mississippi is one of the preeminent golf destinations in North America, so hosting this event is a wonderful opportunity to reach a worldwide audience."
The IAGTO is the global trade organization for the golf tourism industry. Established in 1997, IAGTO members are made up of more than 1,900 accredited golf tour operators, golf resorts, hotels, golf courses, airlines, tourist boards, approved media and business partners in 90 countries. Currently, 226 of IAGTO's golf tour operators in 39 countries sell North American golf destinations.
In addition to being the heartland of music, the true birthplace of the blues and the third-largest gaming destination in North America, Mississippi offers more than 170 golf courses at a variety of price points in five distinct regions, with renowned course designers such as Arnold Palmer, Jack Nicklaus, Tom Fazio, Jerry Pate and Davis Love III.
The IAGTO Convention will feature seminars and briefings as well as 10 hours of B2B meetings. There will be a full schedule of networking functions, including a Welcome Reception on the IP Casino Resort & Spa Rooftop Sundeck, a Dine-Around Event, and a BBQ & Blues Night at the iconic The Shed restaurant. On Friday, June 8, two highly acclaimed Gulf Coast courses - The Preserve and Shell Landing - will host shotgun-format golf tournaments.
To register or for more information, visit www.iagto.com
. To receive a free Mississippi Golf Travel Guide and suggested play-and-stay itineraries, visit www.visitmississippi.org/golf.aspx
or call toll-free 1-866-801-8551.
About Mississippi Golf
Attractions contributing to Mississippi's growing popularity as the preferred golf-and-travel destination include:
• More than 170 courses offering a variety of price points and designs from world-class architects such as Jack Nicklaus, Arnold Palmer, Jerry Pate and Tom Fazio
• Year-round golf weather with temperate conditions throughout five distinct regions -- The Hills, The Delta, The Capital/River, The Pines, The Coastal
• Home to two annual PGA TOUR events: The Mississippi Gulf Resort Classic of the Champions Tour, played at Fallen Oak in March and the True South Classic of the PGA TOUR, played at Annandale Golf Club, July 16-22, 2012
• Third-largest gaming destination in North America, featuring exciting gaming, upscale shopping, live entertainment, luxurious spas and internationally acclaimed golf courses
• Birthplace of blues, rock 'n roll and country music. Mississippi Blues Trail and Country Music Trail markers are placed at key sites around the state to honor musicians and give visitors insight into the state's diverse musical heritage
• World-famous, authentic southern cuisine offering savory barbecue, fresh seafood and French-Cajun delicacies
• A busy calendar of more than 400 unique events scheduled throughout the year
• A host of non-golf activities including boating, fishing, bird-watching, hiking, biking, hunting, camping and more
For more information, visit www.visitmississippi.org
or call toll-free 1-866-801-8551.