Harbor Shores Announces $114 Million Harbor Village Development To Include Marina, Boutique Hotel, Condominiums And Cottages
Marina construction to begin summer 2012 for planned spring 2013 opening
BENTON HARBOR, Mich., May 17, 2012 - Harbor Shores, a 530-acre residential, golf, recreational and waterfront community, today announced details of its marina, hotel, condominiums and cottages development along the banks of the St. Joseph and Paw Paw Rivers. Local St. Joseph marina and real estate development firm, Edgewater Resources, has been named developer of the project.
Called Harbor Village, the project includes a 105-slip marina, 70-room boutique hotel, 48-unit hotel/condominium building, two six-story and one seven-story luxury condominium buildings containing 88 total units and a 60-cottage development. A swimming pool and clubhouse will complement the marina area
"The marina, hotel, condominiums and cottages will be a significant addition to the overall Harbor Shores development," said Bob McFeeter, Managing Director, Harbor Shores. "Boating access to and from Lake Michigan is an important amenity for Harbor Shores as well as residents from surrounding communities and visitors alike. This development, when complete will not only create new jobs, but make it easier to attract new employers to the area that see hospitality and recreational amenities as important to choosing where to invest in new operations."
"We have been working with Edgewater Resources on the marketing concept, site designs and financing details to assure ourselves we have the right develop and development process in place' added McFeeter. "We have several steps we need to take in working with the local and state government agencies, but with all of the excitement over what this particular development means to the entire region, we felt it important to bring it to the public's attention as we work with Edgewater Resources and the local and state agencies to design and build a world-class marina for the area."
The Harbor Village is an important addition to the existing Harbor Shores development which already includes The Golf Club at Harbor Shores, Hideaway cottages, Trailside cottages and Fairways homes. The area slated for the development sits just east of the M-63 bridge on the north bank of the St. Joseph River.
"We've been watching with great interest as the Harbor Shores development continues to grow," said Ron Schults, principal of Edgewater Resources. "Our team is excited to bring its marina and real estate development expertise to support a hometown project such as Harbor Village that will positively contribute to the quality of life for area residents and visitors. If this project is something the local community wants and we get the support of the various state agencies, we will do what is necessary on our part to turn this concept into a world class reality."
In addition, construction on the Trailside Cottage development is underway and the first model of the Golf Villa in Champions Village has been built. The Golf Villa will serve as the temporary home of the Harbor Shores real estate sales office.
The Harbor Village project is contingent upon state and local government support.
HARBOR VILLAGE DETAILS
• "The Harborage" marina will include 80 upscale slips containing floating docks ranging from 35- to 87-feet long. Amenities include water, electric, cable TV, and access to the hotel, swimming pool, and clubhouse. In addition, 30 transient slips will be located in the marina basin and will accommodate boats from 25- to 120-feet long.
• "The Inn" will be a 70-room boutique hotel featuring an architectural design reminiscent of resort hotels found on Mackinac Island. Accommodations will range from 280 square feet standard rooms to 600 square feet one-bedroom suites. The Inn will feature two conference rooms and a lower level restaurant and lounge as well as a fitness area, day spa, gift shop, swimming pool and hot tub.
• "Harbor House" will consist of three hotel/condominium buildings, 48 total units that will include suites which will be sold to individuals with options to be included in the hotel rental program.
• "The Residences" will include two six-story and one seven-story condominium buildings containing a total of 88 units. The units will range from 1,400 square feet two-bedroom condominiums to 3,800 square feet three-bedroom condominiums with penthouse suites and lofts.
• "Cottage Homes" are planned with a variety of views. Sixty total cottages will be built, 17 of which will be on the Paw Paw River with boat slip availability; 20 will have views overlooking the Harbor Shores golf course and 23 will have park views to the interior of the property.
"Working together, our community has reinvested in itself," said Wendy Dant Chesser, president of Cornerstone Alliance, the region's economic development organization. "The addition of a world-class marina, hotel and condominium development adds significant economic activity and lets investors know that this is an area where businesses can grow and thrive."
There are three phases to the marina development. Phase One, which includes construction on the marina and one Harbor House will begin in summer 2012 and be completed in spring 2013 and fall 2013 respectively. Phase Two will include construction of The Inn, which is scheduled to be completed by spring 2014 in time for use during the 75th Senior PGA Championship presented by KitchenAid, which will be played at The Golf Club at Harbor Shores. Phase Three includes initial cottages that will be finished by fall 2013.
About Harbor Shores
Harbor Shores is Lake Michigan's first beach and golf community, just 90 minutes east of Chicago in Benton Harbor/St. Joseph, Mich. The community's central amenity is an 18-hole, public Jack Nicklaus Signature Golf Course. The challenging course winds through a variety of terrain including wetlands, riverside and hardwood forest and offers stunning views of Lake Michigan from lakeside holes. The 530-acre residential, golf, recreational and waterfront community plans to feature a full calendar of events and world-class amenities, including a marina village and riverwalk, town center with restaurants and shops, health and fitness center, deep-water marinas, with a boutique hotel and spa, miles of recreational trails and rivers, and acres of parks and green space. Harbor Shores will be home to nearly 600 residences, including charming cottages, signature homes, town homes and condominiums. Current real estate opportunities include golf and riverfront homesites, riverfront cottages, golf view homes and condominiums. For more information about the Harbor Shores community and golf course, visit www.harborshoreslife.com
About Edgewater Resources
Edgewater Resources is a leading real estate design and development firm based in St. Joseph, Michigan which specializes in a marina development projects. The firm has managed several local projects including Edgewater Dunes, Edgewater Center, St. Joseph River Yacht Club, Concord Ridge Equestrian Center and Harbor Village in Manistee, Michigan.