PGA National's New 'Fazio Course' Opens Nov. 1
Complete renovation of Haig Course by Tom Fazio II modernizes resort's original layout
(PALM BEACH GARDENS, Fla.) -- PGA National Resort & Spa - home of the PGA TOUR Honda Classic - announces its new Fazio Course will open Nov. 1, further cementing the five-course property as one of the great golf destinations in the U.S.
"The Fazio" is a complete renovation of "The Haig" - PGA National's original 18-hole course opened in 1980. The Haig was designed by George and Tom Fazio in tribute to five-time PGA champion Walter Hagen.
As the third generation of the lauded Fazio family to work on The Haig, Tom Fazio II has spearheaded the efforts to modernize the noted shot maker's layout. With 20 years of design experience, his portfolio includes Quail Valley Golf Club (Vero Beach, Fla.), Eagle Marsh (Jenson Beach, Fla.), Trump National (Bedminster, N.J.), Trump National (Briarcliff Manor, N.Y.) and Great River (Milford, Conn.).
"We think the appealing aspects of The Fazio are the newly reconfigured greens, tee-boxes and bunkering; achieving that ideal balance where single-digit golfers will be fully challenged while higher handicaps will have a layout ideal for a day of enjoyable resort golf," says Tom Fazio II.
"Tom has a wonderful vision for the course with a combination of old- and new-school design concepts," says Lukus Harvey, director of agronomy at PGA National. "He's the epitome of a 'hands-on' course architect and we're thrilled to partner with him on this seminal project."
"The Fazio Course adds to the PGA National legacy, which at 30-years and counting is one of the most robust of any golf resort in the world. With legendary player / designers like Jack Nicklaus and Arnold Palmer, and three generations of the Fazio family represented by our five outstanding courses, we have a diversity of layouts appealing to a wide array of player types," says Joel Paige, vice president and managing director.
While the original par-72 routing remains intact, the renovation features the best of classic golf architecture and improvements in modern technology, course design and agronomics, including:
• Total green surface increased nearly 70 percent from 1.5 acres to 2.5 acres and grassed with TifEagle.
• Grass on tees and fairways changed to Celebration Bermudagrass.
• Tee-boxes reconfigured from circular to square.
• In response to advances in equipment, total course yardage is now lengthened to over 7,000 yards.
• In accordance with the popular "Tee it Forward" initiative sponsored by the PGA and USGA, player-friendly tees have been added allowing the course to be played at 5,100 yards.
• The latest irrigation technology has been installed throughout
Says Paige, "For avid golfers, we deliver a TOUR-quality practice and playing experience, including David Leadbetter and Dave Pelz academies and championship level club-fitting and practice facilities. As we complete our multi-million renovation, PGA National also offers a suite of amenities, from spa and tennis to fine dining and relaxing pool-side, comparable to the great luxury golf resorts of the world."
With its four other championship courses open for play during the renovation, no disruption of available tee-times is expected. For more information on PGA National Resort & Spa visit www.pgaresort.com
, or call (800) 533.9386.
About PGA National Resort & Spa
PGA National Resort & Spa is a premier golf, vacation and meeting destination. The South Florida locale offers 90 holes of championship golf on five courses, including the famed Champion course, home to the PGA TOUR Honda Classic and past host of the Ryder Cup, PGA Championship and a litany of other prized professional golf tournaments.
Other distinguishing features include a world-class 33,000 square-foot health-and-racquet club with 19 Har Tru tennis courts, 40,000 square feet of self-contained conference space and nine on-site restaurants and lounges.
PGA National Resort & Spa's myriad accolades include:
• AAA--Four Diamond Resort (2011)
• Golfweek -- Best You Can Play State by State (No. 5, 2012)
• Golfweek -- Best Tour Courses You Can Play (No. 28, 2011)
• Golfing Magazine - "World's Top 5 Multi-Course Venues" (2011)
• About.com -- "No. 1 Golf Resort in Florida" (2011)
• GOLF Magazine -- Top 100 Premier Resorts -- Silver Award Winner (2011)
• GOLF Magazine -- Premier Resorts Green Award Winner (2011)
• Golf World -- Top 50 Resorts (2010)
• Successful Meetings -- Pinnacle Award Winner (2011)
• The Knot -- Best of Weddings (2012)
Conveniently located within easy driving distances of major Florida population centers, the AAA Four Diamond resort is a 15-minute drive from Palm Beach International Airport (PBI), one hour from Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport (FLL) and 90 minutes from Miami International Airport (MIA).