Inaugural Seve Ballesteros Legends Tournament Announces Partial Slate of Celebrity Captains
Pebble Beach event set for Nov. 29-Dec. 1; amateur teams still available
PEBBLE BEACH, Calif., Aug. 29, 2012 - With openings still remaining for amateur teams to participate in the inaugural Seve Ballesteros Legends Tournament
, scheduled Nov. 29-Dec. 1 at Pebble Beach, event organizers today released a partial list of the celebrities who will serve as captains to the 18 four-player teams.
With golfing legends and more celebrities set to formally commit to the event in the ensuing weeks, here is a look at those have firmed up their participation:
• Piers Morgan (host of CNN's "Piers Morgan Tonight")
• Len Goodman (judge on American TV show, "Dancing With The Stars")
• Chris Noth (American TV actor, "The Good Wife")
• George Lopez (American film and TV actor, standup comedian)
• Dennis Haysbert (American film and TV actor)
• Ioan Gruffudd (Welsh film, TV and theater actor)
Other celebrity captains include actors Jason Isaacs, JJ Field, George Lazenby, Jamie Bamber, Carlos Bernard and Peter Weller; comedian/actor Cheech Marin, and fashion model Jodie Kidd.
With amateur team openings still remaining, the tournament will celebrate Ballesteros and his non-profit foundation with a par-3 tournament on Pebble Beach's Peter Hay Golf Course
. The event will bring together teams of amateur golfers playing for the Legends Trophy in a Ryder Cup-like format. Nine teams from the United States will take on nine European teams in an 18-hole tournament on Thursday, Nov. 29, with each team captained by a well-known celebrity or golfing legend. Play will take place amid a festive environment with live music and DJs, fine food and wine, TV screens broadcasting from around the course and more attractions.
Amateur golfers are invited to participate, with each team member to receive:
• Ground transportation between Monterey Regional Airport (MRY) and Pebble Beach
• Invitation to Opening Night Reception (Wednesday, Nov. 28)
• Four nights lodging (double occupancy) at The Inn at Spanish Bay
in Pebble Beach
• Participation in the Legends Tournament, including food and beverages throughout the event
• Post-tournament Champagne Reception and Gala Dinner with live entertainment, prizes and charity auction at the exclusive Beach & Tennis Club in Pebble Beach (Thursday, Nov. 29)
• One round of golf at The Links at Spanish Bay (Friday, Nov. 30)
• One round of golf at Pebble Beach Golf Links (Saturday, Dec. 1)
• Official team golf shirt and luxury goodie bag
• Invitation to Closing Reception (following golf on Dec. 1)
Registration per team of four is $35,000 (£24,000), with fundraising from the Legends Tournament going to the www.seveballesterosfoundation.org.uk
>Seve Ballesteros Foundation, which Seve himself set up in partnership with Cancer Research UK in 2009 to raise money for research into brain tumors. Seve was diagnosed with a brain tumor in October 2008 and it took his life less than three years later. Cancer Research UK is the world's leading cancer charity dedicated to saving lives through research.
To participate in the Seve Ballesteros Legends Tournament, e-mail email@example.com
, or call:
• USA: 1-800-761-2932
• UK: 0845-177-1617
More information about the Seve Ballesteros Legends Tournament is available by visiting www.sevelegends.com
About the Seve Ballesteros Foundation
The Seve Ballesteros Foundation was set up by Seve Ballesteros and the Ballesteros family to raise funds for brain cancer research.
The Seve Ballesteros Foundation works in partnership with Cancer Research UK to beat cancers of the brain.
Since it was founded in 2009 the Foundation has raised more than £2 million.
In the UK, around 9,300 people every year are diagnosed with tumors that start in the brain or elsewhere in the central nervous system.
For more information visit www.seveballesterosfoundation.org.uk
About the funds raised
Superstar Sports is organizing the Seve Ballesteros Legends Tournament in aid of:
1. The Seve Ballesteros Foundation supporting Cancer Research UK (which raises money for brain cancer research in the UK).
2. The American Friends of Cancer Research, Inc (the Board has determined that all monies raised by the American Friends of Cancer Research, Inc through this event will support the Seve Ballesteros Foundation's brain cancer research in the UK).